The Monroe County Public Library was first organized in 1947 by the Farm Women’s Club with support by the Monroe County Commission, the Monroe County Board of Education, and the West Virginia Library Commission. This library was one of the first demonstrations of bookmobile library service in the state.
The first building that housed the library was shared with the Department of Public Assistance and had a collection of 2000 volumes. A new building was constructed and dedicated in 1980. The library now has a collection of 30,000 volumes.
The main floor of the library houses a collection of books, videos, periodicals, and other materials. There are three Internet accessible computers available for public use. The lower level contains a large meeting room and the Agnes Campbell Roles Learning Center. The learning center houses a computer lab, student desks, and a collection of literacy and adult basic education materials. Classes for HSE preparation, basic computer, word processing, spreadsheets, and one on one literacy tutoring in reading and math are held in the learning center two days each week. Ten internet accessible computers are available for public use in the lower level.
The library is open 39 hours each week with one full time staff and two part-time employees.